Friday, September 4, 2015

December 1998 - Life in Oak Springs, the Homeplace


Life in Oak Springs, the Homeplace
December 1998


This series of posts on each Friday, so far, during 2015 has continued the stories of “The Homeplace Saga” series of family saga, historical fiction families in the area of Oak Springs following the novel “Christmas at the Homeplace,” which ended as 1997 began. Here is a peek at ‘Life in Oak Springs,’ and the surrounding valley, in December of 1998.




The Oaks Springs Historical and Genealogical Society held a regular monthly meeting at the Oak Springs Public Library on Tuesday evening, December 15. For the program, Sarah (Campbell) Flanders shared some of her research on the Campbell family from 1838 and the history of the Oak Springs Savings Bank. [Follow her story through the links starting here: http://homeplace.wikispaces.com/Campbell+family.] It was announced that election of officers for the 1999 year would be held at the January 1999 meeting.

Out in the east valley, it was noticed that the Visitor Center building for the McDonald Conservancy on the east side of north Highway 37 was now fully enclosed. Work on the interior would apparently continue through the winter.

Oak Springs merchants were in full holiday mode through the month of December. Many new holiday decorations had been added, and the Oak Springs Enterprise was filled with holiday specials.

Among out-of-town visitors for the Christmas holiday was Beverly (Bevins) (Gates) Threshold. This was her first visit back to Oak Springs since the death of her husband, Winnie. She spent Christmas Day with Scott, Rachel and Faith Gates. Heather Gates was also a holiday guest  

*****
We have now arrived at January 1999 when the next novel, “3 Threats to the Homeplace” was supposed to have begun. As many of you will recall, last spring, I published this essay: http://homeplaceseries.hubpages.com/hub/3-Threats-When-is-a-novel-not-a-novel - “When is a novel not a novel.” Since that time I have been exclusively writing 600 to 1250+ word episodes, both in the 1880s stories and here, to bridge the gap from the end of 1997 to the beginning of 1999.

Beginning here next week, I intend to publish adaptations of the first 12 chapters I had drafted of the “3 Threats” novel. The caveat, the adaptations, of course, is to let the characters ‘tell the story’ rather than me trying to force them into an ‘overarching theme.’ My characters didn’t seem to take well to that attempt, earlier, and now we get to see where they take us with these stories in this new, serial, approach.

Readership of these weekly posts has been exceptional in recent months. I hope my stories continue to draw you in. As I’ve said before, I love feedback, so feel free to share your thoughts with me, here, on Facebook, on Google+, or via private email.

Thank you for your continued support!



"May everyone have a homeplace, if only in your mind."


Dr. Bill  ;-)


4 comments:

  1. So we arrive at another Christmas at the Homeplace, as always Bill I look forward to following your continued work. Thanks Sam :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sam. I'm rather curious myself, to be honest! ;-) Thanks for your visit and comment!

      Delete
  2. I'm way behind in my reading after taking yesterday off. I have the feeling I'll be skipping a good many hubs, but yours I won't skip. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind. Great that you had a good experience in Seattle! ;-)

      Delete